Saturday, April 18, 2009

Three Sisters

I finally finished the Three Sisters wallhanging. I think I finished it back in January but I didn't want to post a picture until I had the things for the shelf finished.

If you remember this was one of the projects my sisters Gayle and Kaye and I started on our retreat in Canada. This was Kaye's project and it was really fun. I finished the top at the retreat and started the quilting when I got home. I used clear thread and started with free motion stitching around each of the appliques. I was almost done and then something happened with the tension on my machine and so I did the last little bit with a regular foot and just lifting the pressure foot when I needed to turn. Needless to say that was very tedious, especially because I was on the trees with all of their many branches. But I persevered and I am very happy with it.

The picture on the left is the three of us as children and the picture on the right is the one we took in front of the real Three Sisters mountains in Canmore, Canada last summer. For more information about a fabulous quilt shop there check out my sisters blog post. The pillow I just designed and embroidered because I wanted something that actually said we were sisters. There are three little leaf buttons on it. Here is a little closer look.

3 comments:

T Fowler said...

It turned out so cute. I love all the things on the shelf too. It really all comes together.

Michelle Kelly said...

I LOVE that picture of you three when you were little. They don't take black and white photos anymore. The quilting is very beautiful.

Kaye said...

It makes me wish I had mine finished and hung up. I do love that picture of the three of us. We were so adorable. (Still are!) ;)